Friday, September 9, 2011

Banana Bread

Some people might call me strange because I hate giving my kids snacks. Crackers, juice, and sweets are very rare in our house. As I previously mentioned, "J" is a very hyper kid. Give him sugar and you've got Spiderman flying around the house knocking stuff over and trying to wrangle everything with his "webs". It was funny the first few times, now not so much. So, we've had to cut out nearly all sugar. Once in a while I feel daring and I'll make banana bread. It's got a bit of sugar in it, but it's also got bananas in it. So, it's ok. ;)
Now, I can't stand banana bread with gross black bananas. It makes me feel nauseous. I'd rather eat it with slightly mushy bananas. I wait until they have a few mushy spots then I go to town with the banana bread.

Here's how we make it in our house.

1/2 c. softened margarine
3/4 c. white sugar
1/4 c. brown sugar
2 eggs
3 bananas (normal sized and slightly mushy.) mash em up in a bowl.
2 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda

Preheat your oven to 325 and grease your pan with some Pam or something similar.

Mix up the margarine and sugars until it's fairly smooth. Add the eggs and the bananas. Mix em up then add in the flour and baking soda. I like to add the flour by the 1/4 c. That way I know it's getting mixed in and I'm not making a huge mess. You could use a mixer too. I don't have a mixer. I like to think that mixing it is helping work those arm muscles. ;)

Bake for about an hour. I set my timer for an hour and check it. If my knife comes out clean, I know it's done. If it's not, I throw it back in for 15 minutes. Let it cool.

My kids and fiance LOVE this. I'm not much of a cook, but I can bake like a mad woman. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment